Wednesday 13 June 2012

Give Yourself A Pat On The Back!

Hello


Today I sang a lot! I drove into town singing and then I left my van and walked home through the fields singing all the way. It was a beautiful walk, made all the more beautiful by the fact that I was singing. I was not just singing for pleasure, I was also practicing and learning words to a song which I will perform a few times over the next couple of weeks; it is a song which I wrote about ten years ago, but I have always felt it was unfinished until today! As I walked along I wrote a chorus for it and now I really feel that it is a whole song. Good. 


I sang for a while after I got home, and then I began to think about how great I was feeling. During my singing I had to concentrate very hard, when I practice I sometimes go over the same part of the song several times, I often need to iron out trouble spots where I go flat or hit the wrong note. I was completely absorbed in what I was doing, I forgot about the rest of the world and everything else I have to do, it was blissful. I felt complete happiness. 


Being the parent of a small baby I find it easy to forget what it is like to be absorbed in an activity which engages my entire brain! The majority of my time I need to attend to my baby's needs, or I am doing house work, which means that there is plenty of time for me to contemplate the nature of the Universe or my own personal dramas! 


I do my absolute best to either be completely present with whatever the task is at hand or if it is more a matter of observing my baby and facilitating her then I try my best to simply be in the Now, which is perhaps the same thing. 


The phrase "the devil makes work for idle hands" came into my mind today. I had been completely absorbed in a task, working hard to make a good job of my singing, and when I stopped a whole queue of negative thoughts came trooping in! I think that phrase would be more apt for me if it said "the devil makes work for idle minds" ! 


I don't think there is a moment in my day where I am idle, but the nature of mothering a small baby means that my mind is often only partially occupied, and therefore could be described as idle! To me the devil is simply a word meaning disruption, craziness or negativity, and they are the aspects of thought which I am on guard for! 


So today I am giving myself a pat on the back for doing so well at avoiding the crazy thoughts which can come so easily to people who are not fully occupied. I'm sure that every one is different , perhaps some people thrive from idleness, but I am not one of them. 


My work here is about being kind to myself, opening my heart to love myself as much as anyone can love.....
Knowing myself and never underestimating the path down which I walk is a very important part of learning to choose good feeling thoughts, it can be all too easy to fail to notice what a tough job we do in life, failing to notice what a triumph we are making at being ourselves. 


I am doing a great job of being me! Learning to still the mind and think positively is an act of self mastery. wholly give myself permission to take my time learning all that I need to know to be at peace in my life. 


Today I have Loving Gratitude for the old idioms which highlight the Universal truths about life
I have Loving Gratitude for sweetness
I have Loving Gratitude for salt
I have Loving Gratitude for spices
I have Loving Gratitude for vinegar
I have Loving Gratitude for sea water
I have Loving Gratitude for sand
I have Loving Gratitude for buckets and spades on the beach
I have Loving Gratitude for the phenomenon of talking online to someone I have never met before in another country
I have Loving Gratitude for the sun


love Klara. 





No comments:

Post a Comment