Thursday 7 June 2012

Revelling in the Rain!

Hello


We have been having quite a spectacular amount of rain over the last few days! The South West of England (where I live) is the wettest part of England, the mendips cause major precipitation coming in from the atlantic...... and so I have learnt to love the rain! I frequently hear people complaining about rain and the weather in general, I hear it is a favourite British pastime, but really for me it was a case of learn to love it or stay indoors all the time! 


So yesterday we went for a wet walk in the woods, this was something we used to do as children all the time. My father would get us all dressed up and we would go trudging off into the undergrowth and of course come home totally soaking wet and covered in mud. I don't really remember whether it was something I loved, liked or hated, but I certainly remember it and in particular my fathers obliviousness to the mud and water which my brother and sister and I would inevitably find and immerse ourselves in, I even lost a shoe one day while out with my dad!


Off we went in our waterproofs, wellingtons and umbrellas, the baby strapped to me peeking out under her hood smiling at the rain which only she escaped! Within five minutes we were all thoroughly soaked and striding across a field knee high with dripping grass. The woods looked fantastic; great plumes of steam were rising from them into the sky, the trees all clothed in the most vibrant luscious greenery I ever remember seeing. 


I was stunned by the verdant vibrancy brought about by so much rain. We climbed up a gorge which I have been to many times before and this time I was really struck by the utter natural beauty of the place which was so enhanced by the sheer volume of growth that must have occurred over the last few days of rain. 
Britain is a temperate climate and yesterday Ebbor Gorge felt, smelt and looked just like a tropical rainforest! 


The stunning beauty of my world never ceases to amaze me,I am hypnotised by the natural glory of wild vegetation. The woods smelt wonderful, so many different shades of green and brown, yellow and orange! 


Again I felt the wonderful joy of the quiet mind! I am so glad to be able to say that it still amazes me that having a quiet mind enhances my enjoyment of the world to such a very great degree. It poured with rain over the whole walk, but I didn't notice, so captivated am I by the beauty of the world. With my new found ability to hush my chattersome mind, choosing simply not to think has enabled me to be present in a way which was not available to me before; the smells and sights and sounds of the woods so entrance my senses, so that I am now able to revel in them. 


There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing! and the rain is all the more glorious when it finally stops and we can all be outside enjoying the sunshine! 


Today I have Loving Gratitude for the rain, which has just got harder! 
I have Loving Gratitude for the lushness of new growth
I have Loving Gratitude for my waterproofs
I have Loving Gratitude for my dry cosy house
I have Loving Gratitude for the sun which is to come
I have Loving Gratitude for the ever changing world
I have Loving Gratitude for change
I have Loving Gratitude for growth
I have Loving Gratitude for wild garlic
I have Loving Gratitude for spring smells


love Klara. 








No comments:

Post a Comment